What Did AutoZone Used to be Called? – A Detailed Answer
AutoZone is a well-known chain of automotive parts and accessories stores that has been serving the United States, Puerto Rico, Mexico, and Brazil since 1979. However, many people may not know that AutoZone used to be called something else. In this article, we will explore what AutoZone used to be called, why they changed their name, and other interesting facts about the company’s history.
FAQs About AutoZone’s Name Change
What Did AutoZone Used to Be Called?
AutoZone was originally called Auto Shack. The company was founded in Forrest City, Arkansas in 1979 by J.R. “Pitt” Hyde III. Auto Shack started as a single retail store selling automotive parts and accessories. As the company expanded, it changed its name to AutoZone in 1987.
Why Did Auto Shack Change Its Name to AutoZone?
Auto Shack changed its name to AutoZone to better reflect what the company did and to create a brand image that was more in line with its national expansion plans. According to the company’s website, the new name “communicated that the company would be the ‘zone’ for any and all automotive parts and accessories for all types of vehicles.”
What Are Some Other Facts About AutoZone’s History?
AutoZone has a rich history that spans over four decades. Here are some other interesting facts about the company:
- AutoZone went public in 1991 and is now traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the ticker symbol AZO.
- As of August 2021, AutoZone has over 6,400 stores in the United States, Puerto Rico, Mexico, and Brazil.
- AutoZone introduced the first electronic catalog in the auto part retail industry, which allowed AutoZoners to look up parts, warranties, and check inventory in nearby AutoZone stores.
- AutoZone is known for its customer service and knowledgeable staff. The company even trademarked the term “AutoZoners” to refer to its employees.
- AutoZone created the Loan-A-Tool program, which allows customers to borrow specialty tools for free to complete their auto repairs.
What Are Some Other Key Moments in AutoZone’s History?
AutoZone has had many milestones throughout its history. Here are some other key moments:
- In 1988, AutoZone opened its 100th store.
- In 2000, AutoZone opened its first store in Brazil.
- In 2006, AutoZone launched a mobile app that allowed customers to look up parts, find store locations, and even order products directly from their phones.
- In 2018, AutoZone announced that it would be opening new stores in Mexico as part of its international expansion plans.
- In 2020, AutoZone was named one of the World’s Most Admired Companies by Fortune magazine for the 16th year in a row.
What Is AutoZone’s Mission Statement?
AutoZone’s mission statement is “To put customers first, deliver quality auto products, and services at a fair price, and build trusting relationships with customers, employees, and suppliers.”
What Is AutoZone’s Vision?
AutoZone’s vision is “To be the leading retailer and distributor of automotive parts and accessories by providing industry-leading customer service, excellent product availability, and a premium shopping experience both in-store and online.”
What Does AutoZone Sell?
AutoZone sells a wide variety of automotive parts and accessories for all kinds of vehicles. Some of the most popular categories include:
- Oil and fluids
- Spark plugs
- Suspension and steering
- Tires and wheels
- Tools and equipment
What Services Does AutoZone Offer?
AutoZone offers a range of services to help customers keep their vehicles running smoothly. Some of the most popular services include:
- Battery testing and installation
- Free check engine light diagnostics
- Loan-A-Tool program
- Oil recycling
- Wiper blade installation